IntelliWorks Openstores Shopping Cart Service Community Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

This is how the system works out the postage based on weight:

1. Change config "How to calculate the delivery charge" to 1 (default)
2. The system will select all available delivery methods based on the post zone (for Australia Customers) or Country (for International Customers). This is worked out by the customer's delivery address. You need to associate your delivery methods correctly to the post zones / countries. Refer to the User Guide for how to setup the association.

3. Based on the result of step 1, system will then select all delivery methods that having "Min weight" <= total weight of the order <= "Max Weight". The Min Weight and Max weight tell the system that this particular delivery method is only for those orders having total weight in the range of min. and max.

4. The caculation of the postage is: (base charge) + unit * (unit price). The unit here is (total weight)/(unit weight). The unit will be rounded up to the integer. For example, total weight=1.7kg and unit weight is 1kg, the unit=2 (1.7/1 = 1.7 rounded to 2)

Here is an example for domestic postage setup.

if you have the following delivey methods setup and associate them to all post zones

Code:
name=========base$======unit$======unit/ W======min/w====max/w
aust post========5========1.1========1.0========0=======99.999
reg post=========8========1.2========1.0========0=======99.999 
air=============10========2.0========0.5========0=======3.000   

When the customer has placed an order total weighted 3.7kg. Because all delivery methods are available (associated) to all post zone, all will be selected (as step 1).

Since the total weight is 3.7 and it's not in the rage of 0-3.000, which means the delviery method air is not available for this order.

Now we have two delivery methods available to this order aust post, reg post.

The delivery charge are calculated as:
Code:
aust post:   5 + (3.7/1.0]*1.1 => 5 + 4*1.1 => $9.4
reg post:    8 + (3.7/1.0]*1.2 => 8 + 4*1.2 => $12.8

The system will by default select the cheapest one if more than one delivery methods are available. In this case, aust post is selected and total postage is $9.4 for the order. However, customer can select "reg post" and he/she then needs to pay $12.8 delivery charge for the order.

Last edited by admin on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: postage australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:22 pm 

I have tried to set up postage for my items. most are under 1kg will it work for lower than kilo
i put in weight of item set base at $4.60 when I do check out it gives flat rate of $4.60 no matter what post code is. I have tried to follow instructions in manual but it is driving me mad have been working on this for 4 days am I wasting my time or can it be done. when i use postage calculater weight post code and dimensionsfrom post office some of my items postage should be $14.60 bu shows up as 4.60 or no postage
Help please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Please read the instruction above or refer to User Guide for the postage setup.

Here is the brief instruction:

For each postage calculation, basically you need to specify the following:
1. based postage -- the base postage handling
2. unit (kg) --- weight the calculation is based on, eg, 0.5kg, you tell the system that for every 0.5, you'll charge "unit price" specified in next step
3. unit price -- the postage per unit weight
3. Min -Max weight - this calculation applies to those order having the total weight in this range
4. Associated post zone (Country) -- which post zone (country for overseas) this calculation will apply to. Please make youself familiar with the postcode and post zone relationship.

If you set the unit price to 0, that means it's flat rate for the orders (having the toatal weight within the weight range) delivered to those post zones.

Hope this is clear.